Monday, December 19, 2011

Penny Pinching Mom

    I've finally crossed the threshold from money saving mom to frugalista. I have spent the last week shopping for supplies for homemade gift making...and have made some pretty neat presents. First, I made a busy board which doubles as a picture frame which I'm not totally in love with, but it's super cute. I'm just a perfectionist so if even one little thing is out of place, it drives me insane. The second thing I made was peppermint foot scrub which turned out so amazing that I made a second batch of citrus foot scrub. I even sampled a little bit myself (because what kind of a woman would I be if presented someone with a homemade gift that I hadn't tried out first, lol). I let hubby give me a pedicure and let me just say this...is was AWESOME...the foot scrub AND the pedicure, hee hee hee.  
     Well, today, I decided to go to Wal*Mart to get the supplies needed for my own homemade laundry detergent. For my formula, I used

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar Ivory soap
1 ounce essential oil (citrus)


     I currently have a load in the wash right now so I am really excited to see how it turns out. I will definitely update with the results as soon as I get a chance. All I can say is that it smells super yummy and as long as it works well, I will be thrilled. I normally pay $12 for a large box of Gain, which normally lasts our family about three months. The supplies I bought tonight totaled just under $12 and will make the equivalent of ten boxes of Gain. So, yeah...that's like a TON of money saved. The next thing on my agenda is to make homemade cleaning supplies including window cleaner, bathroom cleaner, and dish soap. I am so excited about making my own homemade stuff because I know exactly what is going into them...not to mention it's way cheaper than purchasing pre-made items from the store. 
     I will try out a bunch of new recipes and post my favorites online sometime after Christmas...which is probably the first moment I will have a chance to try any of them out. We've got a very busy week coming up. And as Christmas approaches, I am doing my best to remember the true reason for the season and praising God for sending his Son to Earth...as a tiny bundle of joy born into the most humble abode...a lowly manger. God bless each of you this week and incase I don't get a chance to blog again, Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment