Monday, April 4, 2011

Getting the Hang of Things

     So, it's day three back at home and I'm FINALLY starting to feel better. Things were pretty rough for a while. My last post was an update on my breastfeeding endeavors which were going great for Haleigh...I ended up having to pump and give her bottles because she was having a horrible time latching on; she lost 9 ounces while she was in the hospital. :-(  Anyways, she was doing wonderful, but it was taking her an hour to eat an ounce...even so, she was eating so we thought she was doing well. We took her to the pediatrician yesterday morning and she had gained an ounce...even better! :-)  
     BUT, there were a few things that were making me a bit worried. First, Haleigh was only having "wakeful" periods of about 15-20 minutes a day...and I mean in a full 24 hour day...not just during daylight hours. It was starting to freak me out; especially since I've been having to take percocet for pain...which causes drowsiness and dizziness. The other thing that has been weird is that everytime I fed her or pumped I was getting extremely nauseas and throwing up...and with each day that passed I felt like my energy was being completely and totally drained from me. I haven't been able to eat much because I've been so sick and what little I was eating wasn't staying down. Last night I started getting really dizzy and eventually ended up laying down around 11:00 to go to sleep. I slept from 11:30pm-6:30am and didn't wake up...not even when Haleigh started crying to be fed. Thank God I have such an amazing husband...he got up with her and let me sleep. I woke up feeling well rested but still incredibly weak. So, I cleared things up with my doctor who said my body may not be accepting the extra increase in hormones that breastfeeding was producing; so I'm guessing that the oxytocin was making me sick? Anyways, we started transitioning Haleigh from breast milk to formula this morning...and she is doing phenomenal. The best part? She has been awake for at least 3-4 hours today...very alert and wanting to play. She sleeps for about three to four hours and wakes for a bottle...and is eating about two ounces at every feeding. I FINALLY feel like things are getting back to normal again. 
    I go back to see Dr. Clapp on Thursday this week and I'm hoping she gives me the ok to start driving again. It's been crazy not being able to climb behind the wheel...especially since I was so active before I had Haleigh..I seriously walked 1-2 times EVERY SINGLE DAY...and now, it's driving me crazy. In fact, I really overdid it today because I spent an hour at Wal*Mart this morning and then went for a walk this evening with hubby and the kids....lets just say that wasn't very smart of me. Tomorrow Mom is coming over and helping me out again so I think I will spend most of my day resting; probably a pretty good idea at this point. :-)  Anyways, just wanted to update on how things have been going around the Johnston household...crazy but loving it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment