Saturday, May 7, 2011

Puke, Poop and Parties

     It has been quite the weekend as I'm sure you gathered from my blog title. *grin*  It is Mother's Day weekend...the two days I've been looking VERY forward to for quite a while, lol. But you can just bet, the weekend intended to celebrate Mom's usually ends up being the most stressful days of the year for...guess who? You got it...the Moms. :-)  But, stress isn't always a bad thing...children are a wonderful kind of stress and it's great to know Caleb and I have gotten so good at parenting we can laugh through the disasters without having major breakdowns.
    Now, for the lovely events of the day. (And mind you, it's not even Mother's Day yet...I can't wait to see the craziness the Lord has planned for tomorrow!!!)  Caleb decided to work this morning to make a little overtime moolah since we are moving in a couple of weeks and want to have extra money to buy new things for our new place. HOORAY!!! When he got home he surprised me with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and I was thrilled since I hadn't even asked for them this year. Instead, I asked that he and the kids just take me out to Panera for lunch since it's one of my favorite places to eat (thanks to my awesome friends Sam and Becca who introduced me to it in Richmond).  Well, we get there, start eating our meal, and Noah gets choked...and throws up everywhere. Now, us as new parents would have TOTALLY freaked out...and probably ran screaming for the exit. But today, we handled it like pros; we looked at each other, grinned and started in on the cleanup. I grabbed a diaper, wipes, and a new outfit (yes, I am proud to say I am a very prepared mommy) out of the diaper bag while Daddy mopped up the floor and picked Noah up. He calmly took him to the bathroom, gave him a quick bath in the sink, and got him diapered and dressed. While this was going on, I am happy to report that I handled the stares from strangers quite well while I finished eating my meal. I can only imagine what they were thinking but I wasn't at all embarrassed like I used to get when things like this went down. I returned their stares with smiles and went on about my business...we walked out of the restaurant together, as a family...and it was only when I got to the car that I got flustered thinking at the realization of what had just happened. It was a fleeting moment and in a couple of minutes the hubby and I were laughing again...well on our way to the Strawberry Festival.
     We got there and it was crazy as usual, but I didn't mind all the people because I was enjoying the day with my awesome family. We even ran into a couple of our friends which made the day even better. We shared a shortcake which was absolutely delicious. They not only put strawberries and whipped cream on it, but ICE CREAM too...that totally makes it the perfect dessert. Well, by this point, Noah was getting a bit fussy so we decided to head back to the car; we had a couple of stops to make before we headed out to the park to celebrate our friends daughter's first birthday party.
    But, before we got there we decided it would be a good idea to head back home to change the kids diapers and feed Halebop (Caleb's nickname for little miss Haleigh). Well, while she was eating...SHE POOPED ON HER OWN!!! I know this probably doesn't seem like a big deal to any of you, but to us, it was everything. She hasn't been able to go on her at all because she had to learn how to. (As the doctor put it, she pushes but won't release so "it's like pushing against a closed door") She would scream for hours because her tummy hurt her, so now we give her a suppository each day to help clean her out. Today was such a great sign that she is FINALLY learning and we will no longer have to guess when she needs to go. YAY FOR POOPIE!!!
    After we had our happy dance we went to "M's birthday party. It was so much fun and I had a great time hanging out with other adults who are in the same place in life as us...couples with young kids, in other words. Little M was adorable in her cute little birthday hat and I am so thankful that we were able to share in her special day. Noah had a blast at the party, too...little man played in the bubbles and was all over the playground. He wore himself out so he was ready for bed as soon as we got home.
     Now, we are waiting on sissy to get to sleep and then hubs and I are cuddling up and watching The King's Speech...hoping it's a great movie. Night to all!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment