Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sacred Marriage

"{Marriage} is the merciless revealer, the great white searchlight turned on the darkest places of human nature."
~Katherine Anne Porter~


     My friend Rebecca recommended the book, Sacred Marriage, and let me just say...I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN! It is truly that good. Even though I've only made it a couple chapters in, I am already embarrassed and feeling that my duty as a wife, a friend, a follower of Christ, is NOT where is should be. This book poses and picks apart the question, "What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?"  Honestly, I have NEVER looked at my marriage this way before reading this book. I am constantly asking my husband, "Where has the romance gone?  You used to be so sweet and romantic ALL THE TIME, and now, you just don't act the same way."  
     Focusing on a romantic relationship rather than a mature (and spiritual) relationship is a major cause of tension in marriage. We are so busy trying to do romantic favors for one another, and focusing solely on that, that we refuse to reveal those true human emotions that we often feel. We DO sometimes get angry (and even "almost" hate) our husbands/wives. With a romantic marriage, we feel a need to hide these feelings...ones which cause embarrassment. If we instead involve ourselves in a mature and loving marriage, we can easier discuss these true thoughts and emotions which sometimes overtake us...thus resulting in a honest union; after all, our spouses are the other half of us. :-)  
     Anyways, just wanted to let ya'll know what a fantastic read this is. :-)  Just another reminder that God sends us storms, not to harm us, but to make us stronger. 


"Through the experience of being married, we can come to know God in new ways!"

No comments:

Post a Comment