Sunday, May 23, 2010

Date Day With Hubbs


     Yesterday Caleb and I spent the day in the Lynchburg-ish area which was nice since we hadn't really explored the area before. Only got really turned around once and my friend Emily tells me that's pretty good since Lynchburg is an easy place to get lost in, lol. But, we had fun at Red Hill and it turns out we were the only ones there. They had a huge conference of some sort there early that morning and we got there just after they finished up, so we were literally the only ones on the entire grounds...:-)  It made me happy because we got to tour everything on our own.
     My favorite building there was probably the actual house itself, which wasn't nearly as big as what I had expected it to be...apparently Patrick Henry was much more humble than Thomas Jefferson as I was expecting the homeplace to be something comparable to Monticello...and it was WAAAAYYYY smaller. :-)  But still, it was a very nice trip. I will post more pictures of the grounds...oh, and I know I'm being a big scatterbrained but I keep remembering things I LOVED, like the BEAUTIFUL magnolia tree, which was HUGE!  I kept trying to take pictures of the blossoms but apparently they are like a haven for bees so I kept getting attacked everytime I tried to take a picture, lol. And, if you have read any of my previous posts you know that I have a major bee phobia, lol....it's seriously a major issue for me. :-(  BLAH!

     This one we took in front of the orange tree that grows in front of Patrick Henry's house. It is like, way huge...so big that they have ropes holding up some of the branches.



We took a lot more pictures while we were on our trip but these were some of my favortie ones. After we left here, we stopped by San Soucy vineyards and did their free wine tasting. I have to admit that they have created some extremely good wines with very unique flavors. There was definitely a good variety among them. We ended up purchasing a bottle of their blackberry wine, which was one of their sweet wines, as I don't really tend to like dry wines as much. But, their prices were reasonable and it was a nice addition to our trip...something we had not planned on but was glad that we did! :-)  After we left the vineyard we headed out to La Villa, a cute little Italian restaraunt...the food there was SOOOO yummy. We fell in love with it and will definitely be eating there again when we are in the area. It was a day well spent and some much needed quality time with the hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment