Monday, May 10, 2010

Singing the Blues

     I've only had the privilege of having two of my works of poetry published. I decided to post them on my blog as I realized I haven't included anything I have written on here...other than my daily ramblings. I hope you enjoy...

Maple T.

Apollo,
             Today, your golden rays instigate a metamorphosis.
             Months of beams burning
             through me
             have transformed my emerald exterior,
             as heat turns yeast to bread.
             What was once gilded
             with jades and sea greens
             is now burnt with orange, yellow, red.
             Beauty at its height, soon fading
             into death.
             Turn your light away from me, Apollo,
             as flesh recoils from flames.
             I will wither and die with more of your piercing
             radiance.
             Sickening, paling, fading
             from green to golden to gone.
             Pleading with you,
                            Maple T.


America's Patchwork of the Blues

Georgia nights
With their transparent skies
Stars
Windows for angel's eyes,
Gaze upon lovers on moonlit strolls,
Dead beat dads with bottles of booze,
And B.B. King singin' his blues.

"Say, did you SAY blues?
Blue is hue I sing true,
All the way to my soul baby!"
Daughter come back from college
Zora Neale clinging
To her enlightened lips.

America
'my country tis of thee
Sweet land of liberty
Of thee I sing'
Grumbles in the bellies
Of babies bawling from hunger.

My country is quilted
With pieces of the blues.
It covers
Americans
With
"Help the poor
Won't you help poor me?
I need help from you baby
Need it deperately!"

    Both of these poems were published in On Concept's Edge (08-09 ed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment